WBW 2025: Cross River Health Workers Gun for Improved Compliance Rate, As Sensitization Intensifies

 

By Efa Sunday 


As World Breastfeeding Week 2025 is marked globally under the theme “Prioritize Breastfeeding: Create Sustainable Support System,” health workers across Cross River State are ramping up efforts to ensure more mothers embrace exclusive breastfeeding, while also encouraging stronger community support systems at every level, from the home to health facilities and public institutions.

Photo Credit:- Google Images 


In Cross River State, the exclusive breastfeeding rate stood at 38 percent in 2023, but nutrition experts are hopeful that ongoing awareness campaigns and strengthened health education will reflect a marked improvement when the next survey is conducted. Health facilities across the state have intensified sensitization efforts targeting pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, often using antenatal clinics, routine immunization days, and church events to reach a wider audience.


During a field visit closely monitored by Civic News Nigeria, the Director of Nutrition at the Cross River State Primary Health Care Development Agency, Mrs. Winifred Ogar, expressed strong optimism that Cross River State could rank as the top-performing state in exclusive breastfeeding compliance when the 2024 Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey (NDHS) report is released. Her judgemet, she said is based on the quality of work being carried out by her health colleagues across the field. 

Photo Credit:- Google Image


“Since Her Excellency was made the breastfeeding champion, compliance has improved. Last year, nearly 1,000 mothers publicly committed to exclusive breastfeeding, and this year we’ve seen more early initiation and facility-level support,” said Mrs. Winifred Ogar, 


Despite this progress, Mrs. Ogar acknowledged that some mothers still face barriers such as cultural myths, physical discomfort, and misconceptions about food intake. She explained that many mothers fear they do not eat well enough to produce breast milk or receive pressure from older relatives to give babies water.

Photo Credit:- Google Image

However she added that "through targeted community outreach, health workers across the eighteen local government areas of the State are addressing these misconceptions and teaching mothers proper positioning and attachment to reduce the risk of cracked nipples and engorged breasts, which we have identified as common deterrents to continued breastfeeding".


In Calabar Municipal, Mrs. Nkoyo Orok-Okon, the Nutrition Officer, reports a compliance rate of between 75 and 80 percent. She attributes this success to hands-on education during antenatal clinics and her deliberate decision to move beyond her base facility to reach women directly in their communities. According to her, some women had never heard of exclusive breastfeeding until they attended this year’s awareness programs.

Photo Credit:- Google Image


She stated, “We’re recording about 75 to 80 percent compliance in Calabar Municipal. This is because we constantly sensitize pregnant women and nursing mothers. I don’t just stay in my facility, I go around to monitor things and support the other health facilities. Those not complying often say they were never properly informed, but we’re making sure that changes.”


In Yakurr Local Government Area, Mrs. Precious Ekpo-Usang, the local Nutrition Program Officer, estimates compliance at 70 percent. She emphasized that education is the cornerstone of her success. Some health facilities, she noted, also offer small motivators like baby diapers or soap to encourage mothers. However, a few still fall off the path due to concerns about their babies crying excessively, a common misunderstanding that the child is not getting enough from breast milk alone.


In her words, “In Yakurr, we have about 70 percent of mothers complying with exclusive breastfeeding. We achieve this by educating them on the importance of breastfeeding for both mother and child. Some facilities also support them with small items like pampers or soap as motivation. However, a few still drop off because they believe their breast milk is not sufficient, especially when their babies cry a lot.”


From the mountainous communities of Obanliku, Mrs. Virginia Anya, the Nutrition Program Officer, says her compliance rate is currently at 85 percent. She actively educates women at every opportunity, from village meetings to routine immunization sessions. 


“The level of compliance here is about 85 percent. I don’t wait for women to come to me; I go out to meet them. Whether it’s during antenatal sessions or public gatherings, I always talk about breastfeeding, and not just breastfeeding but intensive exclusive breastfeeding."


Mrs Anya also admitted that there are mothers who resist due to health challenges or hunger. According to her, " some complain of not having enough food to eat, and others say they stopped because their breast milk dried up". However, while lacking the support of incentives this year, she continues to distribute multimicronutrient supplements (MMS) and use them as entry points to educate mothers about how both they and their babies benefit from exclusive breastfeeding.



These efforts are not going unnoticed by mothers themselves. In Calabar South, Eyoawan Effiong, a mother of two, shared how her approach to breastfeeding changed after hearing from health workers. “When I had my first child, I gave water early, thinking I was helping her. But after attending the health talks last year, I learned the risks. With my second baby, I’m doing exclusive breastfeeding. She’s stronger, sleeps well, and hardly falls sick,” she said.


Similarly, Grace Ideba, a mother from ABI Local Government Area, admitted that she was unsure at first but has since become an advocate. “I used to think breast milk was not enough, especially when the baby cried too much. But I listened to the nurses, and they told me to just feed on demand. I’ve followed it for five months now, and I’m happy I did. My baby is growing well,” she said.


In a refreshing shift from traditional perceptions, men across the state are also beginning to play an active role in supporting their wives. In Calabar, Mr. Godwin Bassey, a civil servant and father of three, said he has become more involved in the household. “I used to think it was just her job. But now I do school runs, buy foodstuff, and even help clean. It gives her more time to rest and breastfeed properly,” he said.


In Ikom, Mr. Emmanuel Offor, a trader, shared a similar sentiment. “Breastfeeding helps the baby and the mother too. It’s not just about food, it’s love. So, I always encourage my wife to keep going. I don’t stop her. I even remind her to eat and rest,” he said.

Photo Credit:- Google Image


This kind of inclusive support is exactly what this year’s theme calls for; sustainable systems that don’t leave mothers isolated. According to Mrs. Ogar, “Breastfeeding is a community responsibility. When fathers and extended family members step in, the mother gains strength; emotionally and physically to continue.”


As Cross River State joins the global celebration this week, which runs between August 1- August 7, the message remains consistent and urgent: exclusive breastfeeding is not a woman’s job alone. It is a shared responsibility, one that requires empathy, education, and practical support at every level. With the dedication shown by health workers across Calabar Municipal, Yakurr, Obanliku, Abi, and other parts of the state, there is hope that more mothers will be empowered to give their children the best start in life through the simple but powerful act of breastfeeding.


Comments

  1. Truly, breastfeeding is such an important part of a baby’s growth. The 1-6-24 method should be practiced by every mother ( especially the first one hour of childbirth). World Breastfeeding Week is a great reminder to encourage, educate and create safe spaces for mothers. Let’s keep spreading awareness, every drop counts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

College of Nursing Sciences, Calabar to Represent Cross River at 2025 National Campus Debate

PETER OLOM UBE: THE QUIET REVOLUTION READY TO REDEFINE POSTGRADUATE LEADERSHIP IN UNICROSS

Breaking : Rev. Uma Ukpai Is Dead